For too long I was meaning to do this and it feels great now that I’ve finally moved my blog from WordPress to Jekyll. There are lots of compelling reasons for why thousands of other people and I moved to Jekyll. The foremost is - I hate WordPress.
- WordPress is slow (because PHP)
- WordPress is bulky and 95% of the stuff is unneeded
- Running locally required the whole MAMP stack
- Difficult to customize
- Tired of running security updates
- I like Markdown
- GitHub has a decent hosting and it’s free.
… just to name a few.
Jekyll is simple and easy to use with a gentle learning curve. For me this took away a barrier and an amount of fuss, so I can focus more on content. Future blog posts will be focused on my projects, academia and opinions in my field of study.